Wayne State University

Aim Higher

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


How do I obtain a F-1 Visa?


Make an appointment for a visa interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. It is strongly recommended that you go to the Embassy or Consulate in your country of citizenship. During the interview, submit your passport, your I-20 form, the affidavit of support from your sponsor and your financial documentation, which should demonstrate you and your family’s strong “ties to the home country.” You should also submit the letter of admission from Wayne State University. Be prepared to answer questions about your reasons for studying in the U.S. and your plans to return home after you complete your studies. If your documents are in order and your responses to questions meet the interviewer’s expectations, you will be issued a visa in your passport.