Wayne State University

Aim Higher

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


I need to leave the country suddenly for a family emergency. What should I do?

Talk to an OISS advisor and get his/her signature on your I-20. Check whether you need a new F-1 visa to return to the U.S. and make sure you have a valid passport. You may need to fill out Departure form, too, depending on the nature of your emergency and when you plan to return.