Wayne State University

Aim Higher

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

F Status

My F-1 Visa stamped in my passport has expired. What do I do?

Donít worry. The visa stamped in your passport is an entry visa, and need only be valid for entry into the U.S. You can remain in the U.S. legally as long as your passport is valid, as long as you are continuing to make good progress toward your degree, and as long as the date indicated as your expected completion date on your I-20 has not passed. However, the next time you choose to leave the U.S., you will need to go to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate to apply for a new entry visa.