Wayne State University

Aim Higher

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


I think I need to drop a class. How do I do this?


Remember that you must be enrolled in 12 credits for undergraduate and 8 credits for graduate every semester in order to maintain your F-1 visa. If you think you need to withdraw from any of these courses, you must get direct authorization from an Advisor at OISS before withdrawing, or you will be out of status. Please consult an OISS Advisor if you feel registering for or completing 12 credits will be difficult for any reason. Also, please note that the OISS is required to immediately notify the USCIS when students drop below full time status without previous authorization from the OISS Advisor.