Wayne State University

Aim Higher

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


Can I work, either on campus or off campus? How can I get a social security number?

Students with F-1 visas are eligible to work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week.

Once you have secured a job on campus, you must apply for a Social Security Number through the Social Security Office.

To help you obtain a Social Security Number, OISS will give you a letter you can take to the Social Security Office indicating you have been offered on-campus employment and that you are a student in good standing at Wayne State. You will need to request this letter through OISS' Online Services.

Note that jobs on campus are extremely limited especially for new students.

Once you have been in lawful F-1 status for two semesters, you can apply for off-campus work.

If you have further questions or need other information regarding your employment options please see an advisor.