Wayne State University

Aim Higher

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

F Status

How do I qualify for CPT?

To qualify for Curricular Practical Training (CPT), you must:

  • Show that CPT is required by your degree or program, or
  • Show that CPT is an integral part of your academic program, or
  • Show that you are participating in WSU Co-operative Education Program.
  • Register for CPT credit(s).
  • Submit a CPT application and other support documents approved by your academic advisor.
  • Have maintained your F-1 student status continuously in the past one academic year.
  • Have been offered a job at a specific time (within a semester), employer, and location.
Note that if you have accumulatively used 12 months or more of full-time CPT, you are ineligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT).