Wayne State University

Aim Higher

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


I tried to get a social security number for my spouse or dependent child and was refused. What do I do?

For dependents not eligible for a social security number, you must apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Complete Form W-7 and submit along with the required supporting documents to the Detroit IRS Office. It takes approximately 6 weeks to receive the ITIN. ITIN numbers are for tax filing purposes only.