Wayne State University

Aim Higher

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


I am a nonresident for tax purposes. Can I claim the HOPE or Tuition Tax Credit or the Earned Income Credit?

No. Nonresident aliens cannot claim the HOPE, Tuition Tax Credit, or the Earned Income Credit. Once you qualify to file as a resident alien for tax purposes, you may be eligible to claim these credits.