Wayne State University

Aim Higher

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


My country has a tax treaty with the U.S., and I earned below $5000, which is the amount of wages exempt by my treaty. Do I still need to file?

Yes. You must file Form 1040NR-EZ or Form 1040NR. In the case where you earned more than the exempt amount of your treaty, you may receive both a Form W-2 and a Form 1042-S, or you may just receive only a Form 1042-S.