Wayne State University

Aim Higher

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


I am from India. Can I claim the standard deduction?

Yes. Due to a tax treaty provision, ONLY students from India may claim the standard deduction on the nonresident forms. For 2008, the standard deduction is $5350 single or married filing separately.

Note: Visiting scholars and researchers from India cannot claim the standard deduction.