Wayne State University

Aim Higher

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


Can students and scholars claim itemized deductions?

Yes, but there are limited itemized deductions for nonresident aliens. You can claim itemized deductions for state & local taxes, charitable contributions to churches or charities, casualty and theft losses, certain un-reimbursed job expenses and tax preparation fees. For those claiming itemized deductions, you must use Form 1040NR.