Wayne State University

Aim Higher

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


I am leaving the country before I can file my taxes. What should I do?

Make sure the Payroll Office has your foreign address so that your Form W-2 and/or Form 1042-S can be mailed to you. Download the appropriate forms and instructions (http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/index.html) and file your U.S. taxes from abroad. Save copies of all forms submitted for your records.