Wayne State University

Aim Higher

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


My employer withheld Social Security and Medicare taxes from my salary. Can I get this refunded?

Yes. F and J visa holders are not subject to Social Security or Medicare taxes as long as they are considered a "nonresident alien for tax purposes" (IRS Publication 519, page 42 and 43). Refund of these taxes may be requested from your employer. If your employer is unable to refund these taxes, you may file IRS Form 843 and Form 8316 for a refund from the IRS.