International Student Employment Options


Full-time, F-1, international students are eligible to work on-campus for no more than 20 hours per week.  The work can be directly for Wayne State or at one of the approved on-campus contracted services.

Approval from OISS is required BEFORE starting any on-campus work.

If you are offered a position at Wayne State, the hiring department will take care of obtaining the proper employment authroization.

If you are offered a position with one of the approve on-campus contractors, you will need to request authorization from OISS, by submitting a request for Employment Approval for On-Campus Contract Services.

Request Employment Approval for On-Campus Contract Services 

Currently approved on-campus contactors include:

  • Aramark
  • Barnes & Noble
  • Ouickly Boba Cafe



F-1 International students are eligible for off campus employment via the following programs:

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT is defined as employment which is an integral part of an established curriculum, including: "alternate work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school." Source: [8 CFR 214.2(f)(10)(i)]. CPT is available only prior to the completion of your degree program and you must have a job offer at the time of application. CPT employment may not delay completion of the academic program.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

OPT is available to all F-1 international students after graduation.   It allows you to work in a position directly related to your degree for 12 months after graduation, or up to 36 months if your degree is in an approved STEM field.


Please contact OISS at oissmail@wayne.edu or 313-577-3422 for more information about CPT and OPT programs or for other employment related questions.