Dependent Information

The spouse and unmarried minor children (under the age of 21) of scholars may either accompany them to the United States, or come alone at a later date.

In order to apply for a dependent visa, such as J-2, H-4, O-3, E-3D, at a U.S. consulate, the dependent(s) should have the following:

  1. A valid passport
  2. Proof that adequate funds are available to meet all of their expenses while in the United States (bank statements, affidavits of support, etc.)
  3. For J-2, valid form DS-2019 for J-1 and J-2(s)
  4. For H-4. E-3D, and O-3, original I-797 approval notice verifying the principal's current immigration status as H-1B or O-1.
  5. Proof of relationship, such as marriage certificate and/or birth certificates

Since currently all WSU TNs are Canadian citizens, their dependents can simply go to a port of entry to apply for TD status with proof of identity, TN's own immigration documents, and proof of relationship.

Reasons for denial of a visa include lack of proper documentation (such as lack of evidence of sufficient financial support), suspected excludability (such as criminal activity), or, most often in case of J-2s and E-3D, the inability to convince the consular officer that they will return to their home country after the authorized stay has ended.

When the family members arrive at a United States port of entry, they will present their passports containing a dependent visa and other immigration documentation to an immigration inspector. Upon admitting them to the United States, the inspector will issue them a Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record), which will show the date and place of entry and the authorized period of stay.

Please note that except J-2s and E-3D, dependents are not allowed to work.