Finding a place to live is obviously one of the most important and immediate concerns you will have in beginning your stay at WSU. The following section is provided to give you some guidelines to follow and an overview of the options available to you.


WSU Housing

If you apply for WSU on-campus Housing, it's an on-line process.  Once you apply on-line and hit the submit link you have electronically signed a lease.  In the U.S. a "lease" is a binding contract which means you have communicated to Housing that you want them to hold a space for you and that you promise to pay the rent monthly.

Many students apply on-line, then arrive on campus and may see another housing opportunity for a lower monthly rate and decide to move to a cheaper facility.  However, once you submitted your on-line WSU housing application you are obligated to live in the space and pay the rent.  So do not sign another lease once you have already submitted your on-line WSU housing application.  If you decide not to live in the housing that you applied for, you still will be obligated to pay and this can jeopardize your stay as a registration hold will be placed on your account if you owe money to the university.





Wayne State offers a number of housing options campus.

Undergraduates can choose between the residence halls and certain apartment buildings, and graduates can choose from a number of different apartment buildings.

For more information go to http://www.housing.wayne.edu/ Phone: (313)577-2116; Fax: (313)577-6644; or email: housing@wayne.edu.

You can apply on-line at http://www.housing.wayne.edu. Make sure you read the information carefully before you apply.

Please contact Housing and Residential Life for further information.

If you can't find housing on campus, you will need to look for off campus housing.

This can be very difficult from your home country. If you know someone who lives in the area, you should ask them for advice.

Currently, WSU does not have an electronic roommate matching system for off campus housing.

If you arrive without housing arrangements, you might want to stay at a hotel.

The hotel St. Regis has offered a special rate for WSU students.

Hotel St. Regis
3071 West Grand Boulevard
Detroit, MI 48202
Phone: (313) 873-3000
Fax: (313) 481-8408

 Back to the Top


  1. University Cultural Center Association (UCCA)
    David Mackenzie House
    4735 Cass Avenue, Detroit 48201
    Phone: (313) 577-5088

  2. Off-Campus Housing Opportunities

    • The Union at Midtown
      4830 Cass Avenue, Detroit, MI 48201
      (313) 214-2015
      Located across the street from Old Main (considered on campus - but not owned by WSU Housing)
      All apartments include free wireless internet, plasma TV, washer and dryer.
      There is a 24 hour computer lab in the building.
      1 bedroom starting at $945/month utilities included
      2 bedroom starting at $755/month utilities included
    • Palmer Court Apartments & Townhomes
      5721 St. Antoine, Detroit, MI 48202
      (313) 871-4621
      2 bedroom spacious townhouses 
    • University Club Apartments 
      4707 Third St., Detroit, Michigan 48201
      (313) 831-4336
      1 and 2 bedroom apartments
    • Belcrest Apartments
      5440 Cass Ave., Detroit, MI 48202
      (313) 831-5700
      Email: office@belcrestapt.net

    • Studio One Apartments
      4501 Woodward Ave., Detroit, MI 48201
      (313) 638-1746

    • Cass and Ferry Apartments
      5538 Cass Ave., Detroit, MI 48202
      (313) 915-5533

    • The Scott
      3150 Woodward Ave., Detroit, MI 48201
      (313) 818-3703
      New luxury community in historic Brush Park, minutes from Wayne State University and DMC.
      Walk to stadiums, theaters, restaurants and shopping
      Centrally located between Downtown and Midtown
      Full size washer/dryer in unit
      Numerous floor plan options including studio, one, two, and three bedroom floor plans available
      Underground garage parking, bike room, on-site storage, four season spa with heated deck, rooftop swimming pool, communal green space, outdoor kitchen, wellness center with private studio and 2nd floor community lounge.

  3. Internet

    Many leading online apartment search sites give renters from coast to coast a simpler and more efficient way to look for a place to live. Their virtual showrooms let apartment hunters review available properties in different communities from the comfort of their own homes. Some common sites include:







  4. Newspapers
    Advertisements for houses and apartments are listed in the classified section of the newspaper. Read the "What to Look For" section of this document to help you determine what questions to ask the landlord when you respond to the ad.

    Major Detroit and Campus papers include:
    Detroit News and Free Press
    South End
    Metro Times

Back to the Top


Utilities are often not covered with your rent. Be sure to check your lease.

You will need to contact the companies below to start your service and check on approximate cost.

Many utilities require you to have a U.S. Social Security Number in order to set up an account. If you do not have a Social Security Number, you may want to talk to your landlord to see if you can arrange for the utilities to remain in his/her name.

DTE Energy 1-800-477-4747 (free call)

Consumer's Energy 1-800-477-5050 (free call)

AT&T1-800-244-4444 (free call)

Back to the Top


If you have a problem with your landlord or owner concerning rent, deposit, refund, repairs, etc., try the following:

  1. Talk with your landlord first. He or she may not be aware of the problem. Be sure that the landlord has an opportunity to respond to your complaint before going elsewhere for help.
  2. OISS is your home away from home, please visit an OISS advisor to talk over your concerns.  We are here for you.
  3. An important consumer protection service of the State is the Small Claims Court.

    For more information on Small Claims Court please visit the Small Claims Court Self Help site.

    To locate free or low cost legal assistance:

    • Visit the Michiganlegalaid.org home page and search for local assistance by entering your zip code in the box marked "Find a lawyer, organization, or related service to help you with your problem." or
    • Contact the Michigan State Bar Lawyer Referal Service at (800) 968-0738.

Back to the Top


Unlawful Housing Discrimination

Being denied housing by a landlord is against the law under certain conditions:

A landlord may not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion or national origin according to the Federal Fair Housing Law (Title VIII of the 1968 Civil Rights Act) and the Supreme Court decision in Jones vs. Mayer. This not only includes initial refusal to rent, but also discriminatory practices as to terms, conditions, privileges, or the provision of services or facilities by the landlord.

Fair Housing Center of Metropolitan Detroit
220 Bagley St.
Detroit, MI 48226-1426
Phone: (313) 963-1274
Fax: (313) 963-4817
Email: fhcdet@mail.com

Renter's Insurance
You should consider purchasing renter's insurance while in the United States.  Insurance agencies are listed in the yellow pages in the phone book. You may wish to contact an insurance agent for price quotes.

See the Student Handbook [PDF] for more information regarding what to look for when deciding upon an apartment.

Back to the Top