Work Issues

Quick Links



Employment regulations are complex. Employment opportunities for non-immigrants are limited. Visit OISS for information regarding current regulations. F-2 visa holders are not permitted to work under any circumstances. J-1 students must obtain permission to work on-campus or off-campus from their program sponsor. The program sponsor is identified on #2 of the form DS-2019. J-2 visa holders must receive INS permission to work.

F-1 employment options

Back to the Top


If you have an assistantship, other on-campus employment, or authorized off-campus employment, you must obtain a Social Security card/number. The Social Security office nearest to Wayne State University is located at the corner of Cass and Michigan Ave., across from Ameritech, downtown Detroit with the following address:

The McNamara Federal Building
477 Michigan Avenue, Room 1550
Tel: (313) 226-6872

Office Hours:
Monday through Friday
9:00 am to 4:00 pm

For general Social Security information call: 1-800-772-1213 during normal business hours or visit

To apply for a Social Security card:

  1. Bring a copy of the job offer letter from your employer to the Office of International Students and Scholars and request a Social Security Letter. You can pick up the letter 10-15 days later.
  2. Then take your passport, I-20 or DS-2019 Form, I-94, the offer letter from your employer, and the letter from OISS to the Social Security Office to apply for your number.

Click here for additional SSN information

Canadian citizens without a passport:
You should take your birth certificate, driver's license, and/or other photo identification.

Please Note:
A Social Security card/number has nothing to do with your eligibility for employment. Its basic purpose in the United States is to monitor earnings for income tax purposes. If you do not plan to work, you do not need a Social Security Number. Always check with the Office of International Students and Scholars before accepting any employment.


If you will be working at Wayne State, your Social Security number MUST BE reported to
Employment Services, 1900 AAB
IMMEDIATELY after receiving it.

Back to the Top