F1/F2 Status

Student Visa

F-1: Academic Student

F-1 visa holders are students who are permitted to enter the U.S. to pursue a full course of study. After they complete the course of study, they are required to leave the U.S., unless they change their immigration status. In general, F-1 students who are in legal immigration status are eligible to work on-campus 20 hours per week during the Fall and Winter terms and 40 hours per week during annual vacations and official breaks, e.g., Spring Break/Winter break.

The I-20 Form is the Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status issued by the Department of Homeland Security. The beginning and end dates of the student's authorization to be in the U.S. are located in Section 5 on the front of the form.

F-2: Dependent of a F-1 Holder

The F-2 visa is given to dependents of F-1 visa holders.

More Information

F1: Change of Academic Level
F1: Employment based on Economic Hardship

F1: Extension of Stay
F1: Reinstatement


Application for I-20
Bank Statement / Statement of Financial Support
CPT (Curricular Practical Training) Training Module
CPT (Curricular Practical Training) Recommendation     
Departure/Completion of Program
Employment based on Economic Hardship
Exception to Full-time Enrollment 
F-1 Concurrent Enrollment
F-1 Transfer Out
Full Time Equivalency Request
F-1 Transfer in Clearance Form

OISS Release of Information Form
OPT STEM 24 Month Extension Overview 
OPT STEM 24 Month Extension Application                            
OPT Information Reporting (Online)
OPT (Optional Practical Training) Recommendation
Request for Program Extension
Statement of Financial Support
Full Time Status Reminder

 Change of Status

Change of Status – B-2 to F-1 Student
Change of Status – F1 Student to F2 Dependent
Change of Status – F2 Dependent to F1 Student
Change of Status – H-1B Worker to F1 Student
Change of Status – H-4 Dependent to F1 Student