Change of Address

All foreign nationals must be aware of the Department of Homeland Security's regulations on address change notification. All non-U.S. citizens, including lawful permanent residents, are required to notify DHS of changes of address within 10 days from moving using Form AR-11 or AR-11SR, if you are a special registrant in the National Security Entry Exit Registration System (NSEERS). Special registrants are also required to notify DHS on Form AR-11SR whenever there has been a change of employment or school within 10 days of such change. The only foreign nationals exempt from this requirement are nonimmigrants in A and G categories.

Please note that if you are a J-1/J-2 exchange visitor in SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System), you should comply with this requirement by informing OISS of an address change within 10 days of the change, instead of sending an AR-11 or AR-11SR directly to DHS.

Please note that the change of address you make on Form AR-11 or AR-11SR will not be communicated to DHS service centers or district offices. Therefore, if you are an applicant for an immigration benefit, you must also send a written notice of the address change to the relevant DHS office processing the case.

Failure to comply with the address change notification requirements may affect your ability to remain in the U.S. and your ability to reenter the U.S. after travel abroad. Noncompliance may also be criminally punishable as a misdemeanor with a fine not to exceed $200 and/or imprisonment of no more than 30 days.

Be sure that you send forms AR-11 or AR-11SR by either certified mail with a return receipt or a courier service so that you have confirmation that you notified DHS in a timely manner. 

Please provide a copy (after mailing the original to DHS) of Form AR-11 or AR-11SR to OISS within 10 days.